Best Watermelon Slicer Reviews 2019: Top 5+ Recommended
A treat that kills the summer heat - A slice of watermelon without the usual mess! 🙂
As far as I am concerned, the summer is my favorite season of the year for two reasons - seaside vacations and watermelons!
There is nothing more enjoyable than eating a cold watermelon on a hot summer day.
All my boys (hubby included) share my passion for this fruit, or vegetable, people can still not agree on that.
You also already know how I love to throw pool and garden parties and BBQs in the summer, and what better dessert there is for such occasions than the all-time favorite summer treat - the watermelon!
Add some vodka into the equation, and you got yourself a refreshing fruit cocktail without even breaking a sweat, especially if you got yourself the best watermelon slicer to help you avoid all the mess that occurs when you try to cut a perfect slice with an ordinary knife.
Why Use a Watermelon Slicer? The Benefits
If you have read the title of my article and thought to yourself that you do not need a watermelon slicer as you already own a knife and that it would be just another gadget that collects dust in your kitchen utensils drawer, guess again.
I agree that the knife can do the job quite well, but there are numerous advantages to using the best watermelon slicer. I will guide you through all the benefits of a watermelon slicer:
- When you own a watermelon slicer, the process of cutting the watermelon is much safer. I even let my boys do it - it is fun for them, and there is no risk that they will hurt their fingers as hands are not exposed to the blade.
- All you need to do is hold the watermelon skin, and you are safe as the watermelon slicer never pierces through it. It is designed that way!
- Another plus, as far as the safety is concerned, is a not-so-sharp blade. Why would it be? Watermelon is so soft and easy to cut, and its sole purpose is that - to cut through the watermelon! All things considered, there is really almost no risk of getting hurt.
- Using a watermelon slicer allows you to cut this fruit without touching its due to its simple design which not only cuts but also extracts the meat from the skin.
- It works like this: The watermelon slicer slides down the edge and clamps a piece of watermelon meat with the help of a tong-like handle.
3. Time and Convenience
- When you use the watermelon slicer, you not only cut the watermelon but also its cutting time! Sounds confusing? Well, to put it simply, you will spend half the time needed to cut an entire watermelon if you use a watermelon slicer rather than the knife.
- Watermelon slicer is also more convenient as you do not have to put in as much effort or strength since you do not cut the skin but only the soft inside. All the juices stay inside the skin, and you do not have to clean as much either. Less mess, less stress, who would not want that?!
4. Keeping Your Knives in Top Condition
- If you use your knife to cut through soft food such as bread or watery watermelon, expose it to moisture, and wash it too often, it will wear down and become dull more quickly. For this reason, you should use a watermelon slicer and keep your expensive knives away from harm, especially the king of all knives - your chef’s knife.
How to Choose the Best Watermelon Slicer?
If you want to make use of all the benefits I have listed, you need to get the best watermelon slicer available on the market (or at least one of the best). My neighbor bought one that was rather cheap but lasted only one season before it was completely ruined by rust.
So, in order to avoid such mistakes look for the following features that all the best watermelon slicers have:
1. Made of Rust Resistant Food Grade Materials
- Rust on your kitchen utensils can seriously endanger your health. For this reason, as far as the materials are concerned, I opt for stainless steel, as always. It is rust resistant and easy to maintain. No stains and no rust - what else can you wish from a metal?
- Besides being rustproof, the watermelon slicer must be made with food grade materials too. This goes for handle too, as it often comes in contact with the watermelon as well. Therefore, make sure that the plastic and silicone parts are BPA-free and without any toxic chemicals.
- I advise you to stay away from watermelon slicers that are entirely made out of plastic as they can be rather flimsy and do not last long.
2. Strong Cutting Wire
- A watermelon slicer is quite similar to a cheese slicer and has the same cutting wire or a thin pole in its place. This cutting wire must be strong and made from durable material. In this way, your watermelon slicer will last you a lifetime.
Related: Learn To Find The Best Meat Slicer With Barbara
3. Easy To Clean
- Your watermelon slicer can be made from pure gold, but if it is badly designed and pieces of watermelon keep getting stuck in hard to reach, tight spaces, perfect for all kinds of bacteria to develop, your health will be endangered.
- The best watermelon slicer should, therefore, be easy to clean, and of course, dishwasher safe (you want to keep your manicure safe too!).
4. Extra features/ Versatility
- The more add-ons you receive, the more you can express your creativity. Watermelon carvers and ballers can help you make unique slices and impress your guest. It is especially important for all those among you who are into decorative plating or own catering business.
5. Comfortable, Non-slip Handle
- You want to be able to manipulate the watermelon slicer well while carving the flesh of a watermelon; a good handle will allow for that. The best choice would be a rubber handle, but an epoxy is also a good option. They will be comfortable and will not feel slippery even when wet.
6. Length of the Cutting Part
- Watermelons come in many sizes, and your watermelon slicer should be able to cut through most of them with success. Therefore it is important to consider the length of the cutting part, but also the overall length of the slicer.
The 5 Best Watermelon Slicers You Can Currently Buy: Detailed Reviews 2019
Mannice Extra Large Watermelon Slicer is quite unique as all other watermelon slicers I am going to review are differently designed and do not cut through the skin of the watermelon. It is quite large with an 11-inch diameter and therefore suitable for even the largest watermelons.
It features a round design with twelve blades made from stainless steel. You have to use a knife to cut the ends of the watermelon and then use the watermelon slicer to divide it into twelve perfectly equal pieces. The downside is that you still have to wash the knife too and clean the mess as juice will get onto the cutting surface.
Handles are comfortable, made from non-toxic materials and do not feel slippery. The slicer is dishwasher safe. It really cuts down the time needed to cut the whole watermelon and is especially useful when you need to cut more than one for your guests. It can be used for melons, pineapples, honeydews, apples and more and thus comes really handy for all the fruit lovers among you.
The Thrive Home Products 3-in-1 watermelon slicer cores, cuts and serves watermelon with ease and little mess. It is one-handed kitchen tool with rounded “cutting teeth” made of food grade stainless steel. It is safer than an ordinary knife and advertised as kids-friendly, but you can still cut yourself, so be careful and monitor your children at all times as I always do my boys.
We first used it at the BBQ party with more than ten kids eagerly waiting for their piece of this refreshing fruit, and it proved to be very useful. I must say that it quite easy to use once you get the hang of it and saves you a lot of time and effort. The main trick is to get the depth right and from there on it is a child's game. All the juices stay in the skin, so there is little mess to clean afterward as well. You are left with the core that you can use to serve the slices in!
My main complaint is that taking out the slice is not as easy as it is advertised, quite oppositely, it is quite common for the slice to fall out from a grabber. I have resolved this by taking the slices out with my fingers, but that might not be the perfect solution from the hygienic point of view.
Chef's Path Complete Watermelon Slicer Bundle includes two watermelon slicers in two lively colors- red and green. The set also includes a 2-in-1 melon baller, a fruit carving knife and a free ebook with recipes. The product is extremely budget friendly and the company even offers a money back guarantee plus an opportunity to keep the set as well.
This set has really provided me with hours of fun - I have cut, sliced, cubed, and served not only the watermelon but also melons, honeydews, and cantaloupes, with ease and without too much mess as all the juice stayed in the skin. The whole set is dishwasher safe but also quite safe to be used by kids as it has non-sharp rounded edges.
The handles are made of rubber, and the slicer will not slip out of your hands even when wet.
The slicer is not long enough to slice through large watermelons without leaving too much of the meat behind. Lifting the piece up is rather easy once you practice a bit. I even used this cutter for my younger boy's birthday and cut perfectly even cake pieces - it made me feel surprisingly proud of myself.
Chuzy Chef Watermelon Slicer, Cutter, Corer, and Server is yet another budget-friendly kitchen gadget that will make your cutting watermelons, honeydews or melons a breeze! The design is very similar to the two previous models as it also features rounded edges and non-sharp blades. It is quite safe and can be used by kids too.
I have found the length of this cutter most suitable for medium sized watermelons. It is easy to use and grips the slices quite well. The pieces came out even, and there was no mess as all the juice remained in the skin.
My greatest complaint is the handle as it is just too flimsy and cuts into your hands while you use the slicer, especially when the watermelon is firm or thick-skinned. The blade is made of stainless steel, and therefore it is easy to clean and does not rust. It is also dishwasher safe. I have given this one to my cousins as I found the previous model to be better designed, but she loved this one too.
Sleeké Watermelon Slicer & Tong offer good quality for the price. It feels very sturdy and well made. The design is good too, and you can choose from two vivid neon colors, perhaps some neutral color could be added as well as an option for the more traditional users. The pieces come out easily, and you are left with a rind bowl to serve them and a clean kitchen countertop too.
I have used it a couple of times to get acquainted with how it operates as a preparation for its big reveal - our first pool party in the season. I had almost twenty people coming over and planned to cut three rather large watermelons as soon as everyone arrived so that fruit would still be cold and refreshing when served. It worked like a charm - and it took only 15 minutes! I was in and out of the kitchen and could enjoy the watermelon with my guests.
The cutting wire is very thick and should last you a lifetime; it also makes very clean cuts so that every slice is even. On the downside, it gets stuck from time to time and then needs to be wiggled a bit to release the watermelon slice.
And the winner is:
Chef's Path Best Watermelon Slicer Bundle - it simply offers the most for the least money spent.
And do not think that it is a compromise when it comes to quality either as it is very sturdy and should last for years to come.
You get everything you need to make the following summer season more interesting and I wholeheartedly recommend trying out some watermelon cocktails (if you are older than 21 of course!).
Enjoy your summer and be sure to share your experience with watermelon slicer with us!