Best Tailgate Grill Reviews 2019: Top 5+ Recommended
If you are a fan of tailgating grill parties, you need to find and buy the best tailgate grill currently available on the market! I have made a choice easier for you - Jack's Guide for a Perfect Tailgating Party!
I am a modern guy and all about gender equality, but I still firmly believe that grilling should be left to the man of the house. If you know what I mean…
After all, why would you want your girlfriend or a wife get all smoky and sweaty? No true gentleman would ever allow that!
When it comes to tailgate grill parties, it is even more so. In essence, tailgating is a more of a guy's kind of event, and the designated guy manning the grill needs to know what he is doing!
Tailgating is so popular among men that it has become an actual part of American tradition by now. My friends and I enjoy tailgating in the parking areas of the stadiums before or after every important game - it is all the same to us, we just want to have fun. And it always is more than just making food!
I do not say that girls are forbidden to take part in tailgating. Quite the opposite, we welcome all the girls who are football fans to share the fun with us!
For my friends, it has become a part of the lifestyle by now. Therefore, we all take the choice of a tailgate grill quite seriously! For this reason, we have decided to gather up and try out a few top-notch models and choose the winner - the best tailgate grill.
Read on so that you too can find out what is the best tailgate grill currently on the market!
All of you who have ever tailgated outside of a game must know by now that there is a certain etiquette you need to follow up on.
So what are the tailgate rules? First, And Foremost, Always Stay Safe!
If someone gets hurt, the fun stops then and there. It will never be the same either. Therefore, this is the cardinal rule, but in order to respect it you need to:
1. Choose the appropriate grill
- No matter what kind of grill you choose make sure that it is suitable for tailgating and handle it with care. It can be gas, charcoal or electric, it depends on your needs but take into account all the safety issues associated with the tailgating. Also, make sure that the grill you choose complies with the rules of the stadium or the park you plan to visit.
2. Operate the grill safely
- In order not to jeopardize your tailgate party, you should avoid open flames. It would help if you also tried to limit your party to your parking space and respect the rules of the stadium or the park you are tailgating at. For example, almost all stadiums forbid the oil-based cooking and frying, especially the use of deep fryers as grease fires spread most quickly.
3. Dispose of the waste properly
- It is especially important to dispose of the hot coal properly. Most stadiums and parks have pre-set rules regarding the use of charcoal grills, so all you need to do is get acquainted with them in a timely manner and honour them to the letter, and you will avoid hazardous situations that could endanger you or your friends.
Further Reading: You should also read about finding the best lump charcoal.
If you want to know the secret to a perfect tailgate party, watch this video:
How to Choose the Best Tailgating Grill
As with all things in life, you should choose a tailgating grill that will fit your needs. After all, tailgating is all about you having fun! What should you pay particular attention to?
- The size of the grilling surface is crucial as it will dictate how much food you can prepare at once. It is best to be able to cook food in bulk because the soon as the cooking part ends the fun part begins. Therefore, the more space you have to grill food, the better!
- Tailgating requires much equipment so try to keep your grill light if you can. A grill that is too heavy will be difficult to pack, transport, and set up.
- Logically, tailgating grills need to be portable, easy to move around and manoeuvre. This makes them suitable for all your outdoor parties and picnics as well. Wheels are a good option but make sure that they can handle various types of terrains.
- You will have to do a lot of cleaning after each tailgating party, so at least make sure to save up some time and effort by choosing a grill that will not require a lot of complex maintenance. Easy cleaning will allow for more time to enjoy your party as well.
You May Need: Most Recommended Grill Brushes
- As I have already said, you can use almost any kind of grill for your tailgating party depending on your needs and the provided rules you need to honour. Most of the time, people opt for a charcoal grill for their tailgate parties or picnics. The best tailgate charcoal grills have an adjustable heat control system which allows you to monitor and control the level of heat for cooking your food. Gas grills are also a good option.
- Make sure that you pay attention to all of these features before you buy your tailgate grill as that will be the only guarantee that all your needs and preferences are met and that you will be able to use your grill in many seasons of adventures to come.
Most Recommended Tailgate Grills: Detailed Reviews 2019
Coleman is a renowned brand well known and appreciated throughout our country, and their RoadTrip LXE portable propane grill is designed especially for outdoor use which makes it ideal for tailgating events as well. The two fully adjustable and independent 20,000 BTU burners provide enough strength for all your grilling adventures. It works with a 20-pound propane tank or a disposable 16.4-ounce propane cylinder.
It is highly portable and made from high-quality materials that will withstand all the weather elements and last you through many seasons. Besides its rugged build, this grill is very practical as well. You can collapse the detachable side tables for extra cooking space plus it offers mix-and-match cooking surfaces: griddle, grill, and a stove. The cooking area is 285 square inches, and it is very compact when folded.
The setup is quick and easy due to the lift and lock system. It is also easy to clean afterward due to the porcelain coated grills with brushed stainless-steel table inserts. So, you will have enough time to enjoy the party! Little details such as utensil storage hooks, easy push-button ignition, and removable grease pan make this unit almost perfect. Unfortunately, it is a bit expensive, and the wheels could do some improvement.
Further Reading: Propane Smoker
The Cuisinart Petit Gourmet is a budget-friendly grill perfect for tailgating as well as any other outdoor activity. When folded, it resembles a briefcase, and therefore it is very easy to transport and move around. The lockable handle guarantees safety while you are on the move. You can also purchase a carry bag which doubles as a cover for extra convenience.
The 145-square-inch grilling area is heated by a potent 5,500 BTU stainless-steel burner and can handle up to four pounds of meat at one time. It is super easy to set up, but the fold up legs could be a bit sturdier in my humble opinion. The legs also do not fold flat which can be an issue in some situations. The porcelain-enameled grate and a practical drip tray (that could have been a bit bigger though) allow for fairly easy cleaning.
This grill might be on the smaller side, but it is big enough for a couple of your friends. It fits any car trunk, folds away easily, it is light (only 13.5 pounds), and requires little storage space. The price is reasonable, and it comes with a three years guarantee as well.
Weber Q 100 Portable Grill is another great option for your tailgating party, under the condition that you keep it small. As it is smaller, it is also very compact ant ultra-portable too. This unit appears to be made of high-quality materials and extremely sturdy so you can take it out without fearing that weather elements will damage it.
The heat control is very precise, which is rarely the case with portable grills such as this one. The unit features one 8,500 BTU burner, and you need to use either 14.1 or 16.4 oz. disposable LP cylinder. The grill is cast aluminum, and the cooking grates are made from stainless steel, as well as porcelain enameled steel and cast-iron which makes them rather easy to clean. The grate can be split into two parts, and that makes it easier to remove and maintain as well.
The set-up is easy, and it is even easier to start the unit - you simply push the ignition button. If the cooking area of 189 square inches can satisfy your needs, you really should give the Weber Q 100 a chance as it is truly a BBQ magician and cooks the meat to perfection. The price is a bit higher, but you receive a 5-year warranty if anything should go wrong - so it’s not a bad deal at all.
Smoke Hollow 205 tabletop propane gas grill is another small tailgating grill that will not break your wallet. The first look at it will tell you that it is not a high-end unit, but for the price, you pay it is pretty satisfying. The stainless steel construction seems built for the outdoor adventures, but the quality of the steel itself seems questionable to me.
The unit measures 27" L x 17" W x 12" H when assembled and is quite compact. The lid locks for safety and for easy transport there is a practical carry handle in front of the unit. The legs can fold down trouble-free, making the unit easy to store or place in your trunk. The stainless steel cooking area available is 205 square inches, but you have additional space at your disposal - a chrome-plated warming rack (105 square inches).
The unit features a 10,000 BTU stainless steel "U" burner and operates on easy-to-acquire disposable one-pound propane cylinders. Unfortunately, you cannot quite control the temperature and have to be quite careful and experienced if you want to cook your meat evenly and avoid dangerous unwanted flare-ups. The frame and chassis are easy to clean, and there is a convenient stainless steel drip tray too.
If you want a portable grill that does not feel like a portable grill at all you should choose Blackstone Grills Tailgater. Sounds confusing? Well, this unit is very solid and bigger than all the other units reviewed here, and can service quite a big crowd too!
Although a bit bulky and larger than most portable grills, it is easy to set up and requires only a few minutes of your time. The legs are adjustable and very stable, so you can position this grandiose grill on almost any kind of terrain. If you can carry it there, that is, as it weighs whooping 78.7 pounds! As it features both a grill box and a griddle, the unit is quite versatile. Moreover, you can remove one of them or even both and use an open burner for pots.
The two burners are independent, one is a 15,000 BTU stainless steel H tube burner, and the other is a 20,000 BTU cast iron burner. The independent controls allow for a different style of cooking on each side. The total cooking space measures 512 square inches which means you can feed quite a few people at once. Besides high price, you might be put off by the fact that the unit is very heavy and a bit hard to clean as well.
The Winner is…
Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill. Why is it the best tailgate grill?
I believe that tailgating is most fun when I am surrounded by a few of my best friends, and I, therefore, find 285 square inches of cooking surface offered by Cuisinart Petit Gourmet Portable Tabletop Gas Grill more than enough to satisfy my needs.
I especially like how easy it is to carry around, transport in my car and store in my garage. Of course, I like the price too - low price means more money to invest in tailgating parties and thus more fun too!
Choose your favorite and do not forget to share that with us! I hope I have helped you enjoy your future tailgating parties with your friends! 🙂