Best Silicone Baking Mat Reviews 2018: Top 5+ Recommended
Are you tired of all the waste you produce while cooking and baking? Cut down on waste by purchasing the best silicone baking mat on the market! Here is Catherine's guide to easy baking.
I would like to give my small contribution to preserving our planet. I, therefore, try to choose green solutions and cut down on waste as much as I can. Afterward, I pet myself on the back for playing a role in saving the nature for future generations, and my children as well!
As a part of my green initiative, I have stopped using disposable baking parchment paper altogether. However, I did not cut down on my baking as I firmly believe in the quality of home-baked products, especially in comparison with the additive-packed ones you can buy in most supermarkets or bakeries.
Silicone baking mats have been my alternative solution. I can tell you that the properties of this mats made the transition pain-free. What more, baking mats proved to be more cost-effective too! Moreover, we all know that every savings counts!
No more ripping the paper eagerly trying to tear it into right shape and size! There is a long-lasting solution for your baking adventures: simply buy the best silicone baking mat!
The best thing: No more waste! Do you wonder how to find the very best silicone baking mat on the market? Well, read the following text of course!
What Are the Best Silicone Baking Mats Made of?
Most of the baking silicone mats of high quality are made from a combination of silicone and fiberglass material. However, there are many models made from silicone only as well.
Fiberglass is strong, but also the flexible material used to produce a solid woven fiberglass core for the mat. Transparent silicone, an inorganic, rubbery, man made material created by linking silica atoms, is then used to surround and cover this core.
Fiberglass consists of countless exceptionally fine fibers of glass that have been finely weaved in order to produce a sturdy, supple material. If you closely examine the fiberglass mat, you will be able to see these woven patterns. The mats that contain fiberglass are deemed way better than the ones that do not have it.
Why is the combo so good?
- The combination of fiberglass and silicone gives the mats the ability to withstand extreme temperatures, and makes them exceedingly pliable and resilient plus non-stick! What more could you wish for?
Parchment paper beware, your days are numbered!
Further Reading: Find the best cookie press and make baking cookies even easier!
Why Should You Buy the Best Silicone Baking Mat?
The best silicone baking mats should be bought for many reasons; some of them are as follows:
- Unlike the disposable paper or foil, silicone baking mats can be reused and thus significantly reduce the amount of waste produced during your baking adventures. The mats need not be discarded after single use as it is designed for multiple uses.
- Besides minimizing waste, you will minimize your expenses as well as you will be able to use a single mat for numerous baking undertakings. Although you still might need to buy some grease spray, paper or foil roll in the future, it will be a rare occasion that won't break your wallet.
3. Practical & Versatile
- Practicality and versatility always go hand in hand, and silicone baking mats are no exception - they ooze with both! As silicone material adjust well, it can be used in various baking sheets (rimmed or flat) as it will conform well.
- Besides being able to withstand temperatures as high as 480 degrees Fahrenheit, silicone mats can also tolerate low temperatures. Therefore, you can freeze your unbaked cookies on the mat and transfer them directly into your oven once you are ready to bake! I often take advantage of this feature!
- Due to their non-stick properties, silicone baking mats can also be used for kneading. If you like to bake your own bread like me, this feature is very useful!
- You never really know if the parchment paper or foil will be 100% non-stick, and thus most of us often use the grease spray, butter or oil as well. When you use silicone mats, there is no need to be wary or take precaution measures. In this way, you cut down both the cost and the calorie intake!
- You can place the stickiest cookie dough on the silicone mat, and there is absolutely no chance that you will have a problem separating the baked cookies. Silicone's non-stick properties are natural and do not change over time. They allow you to be creative and create much more than plain old baked goods - you can make melted chocolate or caramelized sugar art too!
5. Easy clean-up
- Everything comes off easily off of silicone! There is no need to scrub and rub as the residues will come out easy. I know that all of you who bake regularly will appreciate the easy clean-up!
Related: Oven Cleaner
6. Burning & Browning prevention
- When you use silicone baking mats, you can relax as the chances that your cookies will burn or brown too much are significantly reduced. Welcome perfectly baked cookies! No more browned bottoms!
- Pure silicone is chemical-free and does not contain irritants such as BPA and phthalates. Be careful though where you buy the mat as some low-grade mix silicone with some other materials that can do more harm than good.
- When properly cared for, these mats can last you a lifetime! Isn’t that good news? 🙂
- There are numerous designs to choose from, but in my opinion, it is best to own both large and small silicone baking mats. They are not very expensive, and in this way, you will be able to bake both large batches of cookies and single bread buns.
Proper Care and Maintenance
If you want to make the best use of your silicone baking mat and maintain its longevity, you need to give it the proper care. Therefore, if you want to avoid torn, ripped, and worn out silicone baking mats, protect your investment following some simple maintenance tips and advice:
- No sharp objects! Do not try to cut your mat, nor should you cut anything on it! If you do so, you risk ruining the mat as silicone is quite delicate when it comes to sharp blades! Exposing the fiberglass inside is also quite dangerous and a potential physical hazard.
- No using them directly on the heat source! Silicone mats can endure temperatures of up to 500°F, but if you place them directly on the stovetop, oven rack, or grill the extreme heat can damage or ruin them completely. Use your silicone mats with a sheet pan at all times, and you are good to go!
- Do not place them in a dishwasher! Although silicone baking mats can be washed in a dishwasher, I do not recommend it. They are so easy to wash that there is really no need to treat them so roughly. If you do choose to use the dishwasher, place the mat on the top rack.
- Clean them with soap and water. It is best to wash your silicone baking mats by hand. Hot water, soft sponge and some soapy water are all it takes! No need to press hard or scrub the surface - the oiliness you might feel on the surface is normal!
- Store them properly. If you want your mats to last, you need to avoid storing them in drawers cramped with other kitchen equipment, especially sharp or hard objects. Also, do not fold them, it is best to place them flat so that they retain the shape, but you can also roll them lightly. Never store them dump, but rather dry them completely.
If you follow up on all of this maintenance advice, your silicone baking mat will serve you throughout your baking adventures for years to come!
Further Reading: Most Recommended Bakeware Sets!
Most Recommended Silicone Baking Mats: Detailed Reviews 2018
AmazonBasics Silicone Baking Mats come in the pack of two. Their size is about 11.6x16.5 inches, and they are big and spacious enough for most baking adventures. They also fit standard half-sheet pans. However, I would prefer them to be of a different size for convenience reasons as I sometimes need a rather small mat.
They are oven-safe up to 480 degrees F, and I have tested that and encountered no problems. I did however had some issues with the non-stick surface as some things stuck to the surface and had to be removed with a spatula. In defense, the cookies that made the problem were extra sticky, and removing them was not all that hard to do.
They are easy to clean but will stain if you use them to bake things with tomato sauce or turmeric (for example). The silicone is food-grade and seems durable enough. They transfer the heat evenly, and secure consistent baking results no matter what you bake. Low price and reasonable quality make these mats a great deal.
Velesco Silicone Baking Mats come in a pack of three baking sheets of the same size (16.5" x 11 5/8"). They are rather thick (approx. 1/32") and seem quite durable. Although advertised as standard half pan size they do not fit a standard baking pan perfectly - they are a bit short and overlap the corners in length.
These mats are labeled as oven, microwave, dishwasher and freezer safe which makes them both practical and versatile. The Velesco mats can endure temperatures ranging from -40F to up to 480F. I used them to freeze cookies and then baked them directly in the oven with no problems at all. The clean up is rather easy as well and does not seem to affect non-stick properties of the mat.
Made of premium quality non-toxic silicone and fiberglass materials, these mats are FDA approved and delivered consistent results every time. Heat is evenly distributed, and the food is baked throughout. If you use it to bake fish (or other strong-smelling food), be prepared to deal with the lingering smell for some time.
Silchef Silicone Baking Mats come in a pack of three, two mats measure 16-1/2" x 11-5/8" and are designed to fit into a standard baking tray, while one mat measures 11-1/2" x 8-1/2" and fits perfectly into your microwave or toaster oven. Finally, mats of different size in a single pack! I especially like the unique, colorful design and the neat measurement guidelines on the bottom of the mat!
At a reasonable price, you will receive three mats made of FDA approved silicone and fiberglass mesh which are 100% non-stick. These mats are also BPA-free. They are heat resistant and freezer approved and thus quite versatile. Cleaning is quick and easy.
The Silchef mats are 0.75mm thick and seem quite durable. Unfortunately, after one month of usage, I have noticed that the colored edges I liked so much began to lose color, while the silicone started to retain brown or burning spots. The good news is that the Silchef provides a 100% money back guarantee on these mats.
The KITZINI Silicone Baking mats come in a pair, one blue for the boys and one red for the girls. The two mats provided in the pack differ in size: one is designed to fit standard half sheets (16.5" x 11 5/8"), and the other fits quarter sheets (11.5" x 8.5"). I find this very convenient as I use both sizes of pans quite often.
At a reasonable price, these mats provide a true non-stick surface for your baking adventures. They are made from FDA-certified professional food-grade silicone and a sturdy fiberglass core. Cleaning has proven to be easy and problem-free.
You also receive money back guarantee if you happen to encounter any problems within the first month of use. Another bonus is a complementary recipe ebook that might be of special interest to young, inexperienced housewives or cooks. Unlike most of the mats reviewed here, KITZINI mats can have a temperature limit of 400°F, so be careful not damage them by exposing them to higher temperatures.
Silpat Silicone Baking mats are truly premium but come at a premium price as well. If you discard the fact that you can buy a set of two or three mats of the other brand for the much lower price, you are sure to be satisfied. If you do pay the price, you will receive one half sheet size mat (11-5/8" x 16-1/2") that is sure to stand the test of time.
Kosher, FDA and NSF (National Sanitation Foundation) certified, Silpat mat is a synonym for quality among professional chefs and home cooks alike. The heat spreads uniformly, and your baked goods always come perfectly done. The mat stays perfect too - no stains or discoloration no matter how often you use it.
It can withstand temperatures as low as -40°F and as high as 480°F. Silpat is made from the highest quality silicone armored with top-grade fiberglass mesh. No matter how sticky the food you bake is, Silpat mat will deliver, and you will have no problems separating the baked goods or cleaning the mat afterward.
The Best Silicone Baking Mat Declared
You should definitely go green and switch to a silicone baking mat!
It's nonstick, reusable, and ultra practical. Although all the reviewed mats are great, I give my final vote to Silpat Premium Non-Stick Silicone Baking Mat, if you can afford it of course.
If Silpat silicone baking mat is out of your reach, there is absolutely no need to despair, Silchef Silicone Non-Stick Baking Mats are almost as good of a choice.
In any case, buy a silicone baking mat ASAP, as it will save your time and money and reduce the waste! Help me help our planet - spread the word by sharing this article!