Best Frozen Hamburger Patty Reviews 2018: Top 5+ Recommended
Here in the USA, everyone loves a good burger! It’s part of our tradition, and we have made it our passion as well. And I can tell you one thing; my dear husband is one of the biggest burger fans! It seems to me that he equally likes grilling the patties as eating them afterward. He made a ritual out of it!
Of course, my part of the work is to deliver fresh homemade patties for him to the grill to perfection! This is not an easy job! Not at all!
I first need to find fresh meat, have it ground, spice it up - get all the ingredients right! And then comes the messy part, blending all of them together well and forming patties. It is usually very shambolic, and I am left with tons of dishes to wash and a kitchen to clean.
I guess there lies a reason why I do not like homemade hamburgers as much as my hubby! It is also a reason why I have started contemplating about using frozen hamburger patties instead.
My hubby was reluctant when I shared my idea with him, but he could not sway me. Determined to find the best frozen hamburger patties you can buy, I have begun my quest!
Read on to find out what I have found out, and, of course, whether my hubby was satisfied in the end!
Why Use Frozen Hamburger Patties Instead the Homemade Ones?
For many people, including my loving husband, choosing the frozen hamburger patties over the homemade ones sounds like a punishment of some sort! I believe it does not have to be that way and can even be beneficial.
Here are some reasons that could persuade you (and my hubby!) that I might be right:
1. Frozen patties minimize stress and mess
- As I have already described, my predicament you know how messy making the homemade burgers can be. Mashing raw meat with bare hands is no one’s definition of a time well spent. Even if you get over that part of the process, you still have to form the patties with your hands as well. Me being a perfectionist, this can last quite long!
- Buying a burger press might be a solution to avoiding forming uneven patties but it is an extra cost as well, and one more thing you have to wash after you are done. If you sum up all the dirty dishes, add the messy kitchen counter and your sweat and tears (from cutting onions, of course), you come to the conclusion that buying frozen hamburger patties might be an excellent idea after all!
- When you buy frozen patties, all you need to do is open the box and lay them on the grill! Oh, and throw away the box of course!
2. Frozen patties minimize food waste
- I always feel bad when I need to throw food away, as I know how some people in the world would appreciate having it! However, no one gets the things right always, especially when it comes to recipes that have quite a few steps to follow.
- I consider myself to be an experienced cook, but even I make unrepairable mistakes from time to time. Slip-ups happen all the time, but sometimes they ruin the entire dish! It happened to me when I was making patties for 4th of July last summer (the timing could not be worse!).
- I have done all the things right except one - and that was quite enough! Namely, I have put too much salt into the meat, and it had cost me the whole batch. It could not be remedied, and I had to throw it out and start over. Luckily I had the ingredients, and the party was a success!
- Even when I make a perfect batch, there will always be some excess meat and other waste that can be avoided by using the best frozen hamburger patties.
Related: Learn To Find The Best Frozen Pizza With Barbara
3. Frozen patties are good for sanitary reasons
- Using raw meat always carries the risk of coming in contact with harmful bacteria. As you have to use your hands to prepare patties, you risk coming in direct contact with them. Even when you wash your hands and kitchen counter, some of the bacteria can remain and multiply there thus endangering the health of your loved ones.
- For example, E. Coli is one of the infamous bacteria often found in ground beef. When you use the frozen hamburger patties, you eliminate this risk and help keep your family healthy!
Keep your grill clean too - buy the best grill brush!
4. Frozen patties are already flavored
- Remember my story about the salty patties that had to be thrown out? Well, when you use frozen patties, there is no risk of that happening to you! The meat will already be flavored!
- For real, when you make patties at home, there are so many ingredients, and getting the things right can be a real challenge. The problem is that you cannot try the patties before you grill them, not without risking your health, and once they are cooked it is late to make changes and better their flavor much.
- When you prepare frozen patties, that you have chosen well (and I am about to help you with that), the meat is already flavored, and you can only put the dressing and sauces you like and enjoy it!
How to Pick the Best Frozen Hamburger Patties
Trial and error are the most usual path to take, but that can cost quite a few bucks as there are so many brands of frozen patties selling nowadays! So how to choose the best frozen hamburger patties that will be good enough to substitute the homemade ones? Well, follow my advice of course! Here we go:
1. Make sure you know where the meat came from
- We all know that eating burgers is certainly not the healthiest choice we can make, but not knowing where they came from can make things even worse! We need to be informed and at least try and find patties that are the healthiest ones offered.
- For this reason, it is very important to know how the cows were bred. Organic farms which treat animals humanely would be your best choice while CAFO-bred cows would be the worst option you could possibly take. CAFO translates to Confined Animal Feeding Operations, which means that they are never out eating grass but rather fed with hormone infused food and given antibiotic as to appear healthy and be harvested sooner. These chemicals stay in the meat and are passed on to us when we eat such beef. You can imagine the effect it has on our body - obesity being the most obvious one!
2. Make sure you know what the cows ate
- As I have already mentioned, it is better for both you and the cows if you choose a patty made from the meat of an organically bred, free roaming cows that have never been given artificial hormones, antibiotics or the GMO food.
- The meat that comes from cows that eat such food increases the chances of developing some forms of cancer so make sure to only buy the patties with the certified organic label or with the grass-fed label.
- The organic label will guarantee that no hormones or antibiotics were used, while the cows that were on a forage-based diet were at least living close to their natural habitat. Grass-fed cows were most probably given enhancers a few months before harvest too, but the beef from such cows is still safe to eat.
3. Try to find out how the patties were prepared
- Look at the list of ingredients, and make sure that the beef percentage is very high or otherwise you will end up eating extenders, preservatives, and artificial flavors. Pure beef and as little synthetic chemicals as possible - that is the way to go!
- Try to find out how the patties were frozen as that will have quite a substantial effect on the burgers. The best hamburger patties need to be flash-frozen right after harvest and processing. In such way, the meat stays fresh and retains the valuable nutrients and its original flavor.
4. Check the manufacturing date
- The fresher the patties, the better they’ll taste! It is as simple as that, just like with any food we buy at the supermarkets. So, make sure that you check the manufacturing date on the package and that the patties you buy come from a freshly made batch.
The Best Frozen Hamburger Patties You Can Buy: My Hubby’s Choice & Reviews 2018
The Mount Pleasant Beef Classic American Beef Frozen Hamburger Patties are, as the name suggests, made right here in the USA, or to be more precise on a Texas ranch. We bought a pack of eight patties, but you can buy a 2 pack as well as 12, 24 and 36 pack according to your needs and preferences.
They are made from 100% grass-fed, free roaming cows and have no hormones, harmful antibiotics, and no GMO’s. There is no grain or soy in the patties either. These patties made from pure beef are flash frozen which guarantees their nutritional value and flavor. They are well seasoned and ready to use right out of the package.
My boys and I prepared them for the Father’s Day as a surprise for my husband and kept our fingers crossed that he would like them. And to our luck he did like them a lot, he could not believe that they were not homemade as the meat seemed very fresh and juicy. The only complaint I have, as I am watching my weight, is that they are a bit greasy! My hubby did not mind that though!
Vienna Beef Frozen Hamburger Patties are made in the USA as well, in Chicago to be exact. The company is famous and has a long tradition as it exists since 1893. I have ordered their patties in a package of twenty for my son’s birthday party, and I have to admit I was a bit uneasy.
The thing that made me nervous is the fact that I could not find any information regarding where the beef came from and how the cows were kept and feed before they were harvested. The company claims that they use 100% pure beef which is great and that it comes from a carefully selected group of suppliers. They also meet all the HACCP & SQF standards.
My husband was also weary, but we have grilled them and hoped for the best. Luckily, neither the children nor we were disappointed. The hamburgers were juicy, tasted fresh and had a great hickory smoke aroma. Once again I found them a bit fatty!
Western Grass-fed Beef Frozen Hamburger Patties come from cows that were raised free roaming on the domestic pastures. They were 100% grass-fed, and the company guarantees that no antibiotics, or hormones were ever administered to them. The patties are also certified by the Paleo Foundation and gluten-free.
The patties can be bought as a ⅓ lb (12 pack) and ¼ lb. (16 pack). The package states that they have 85% lean ground beef and only 15% fat. I have bought a pack of sixteen, and I liked the fact that they come in packages of four so that you do not have to defrost them all at once.
I have done exactly that. I made four patties for us to try, and left the rest for some surprise guests (that is a common occurrence in our house!). The hamburgers tasted quite fresh, but we all agreed that they lacked some seasoning and tasted a bit sweet. They are a bit pricey too.
Greensbury Market Grass-Fed Frozen Hamburger Patties come in a huge package of 40, 4oz patties. The price is also a bit hard to handle at the time, but in accordance with the quality, you get. The good news is that every patty is packed individually and you can use as many as you need at the time.
The beef comes from an organic Blackhills Farm in South Dakota and is thus USDA certified organic. This means that the cows were grass fed and no additives, hormones or antibiotics were ever administered to them. As a result, the meat is all natural and as healthy as beef can be. The meat is flash frozen and thus retains the flavor and juices as if fresh.
We bought these burgers as both my husband and I try to eat organic food as much as possible. We did find them a bit expensive but decided it was worth the risk nonetheless. I was a bit disappointed to read that they contain 26% (17 G) fat, but my hubby and boys enjoyed them so much I have decided to neglect that fact and enjoy them myself!
Glenmark Angus Frozen Hamburger Patties burgers are made from 100% Angus beef grown right here in the USA. The meat complies with all the policies which guarantee safety and quality including those which focus on waste reduction and energy conservation - not many companies can say that!
The price is hard to beat, especially when you compare it to the quality you get. Unfortunately, although the meat is 100% USDA approved, there is no information provided on how the cows were fed prior to harvesting. As a consolation, there are no fillers added. The beef is also flash-frozen instantaneously to lock in the freshness and all the flavors.
The package contains six 1/3 pound patties, which was quite enough for our Sunday family barbecue. My boys could not even finish a whole burger! They tasted fresh and juicy and deserved their place on my list of best frozen hamburger patties as a low budget pick!
And the winner is…
Greensbury Market Grass-Fed Frozen Hamburger Patties, for the taste and texture but mostly the organic label!
You will not regret buying any of the other patties reviewed here, but Greensbury Market Grass-Fed Frozen Hamburger Patties are the best frozen hamburger patties as voted by my hubby and boys, and I can do nothing but agree with them!