Best Cutting Board Reviews 2019: Top 5+ Recommended
There’s nothing in the kitchen that can replace a good cutting board! Just like a great, sharp knife, it’s one of the essentials to making a good meal. However, it’s not easy to get one.
Oh, I’ve heard a lot of people who think just about anything can be a cutting board – from a plastic plate to a thick piece of cardboard. You know what the common denominator is in all those stories? They all end in absolute disaster.
Carving a large piece of beef or an entire chicken is no small feat, and without a good cutting board, you’ll have a hard time doing it. Not to mention that you’re at risk of damaging your knife, your expensive countertop or even hurting yourself!
I’ve learned the value of a good cutting board early in my life after a similar disaster involving a sushi knife, a thick piece of plastic and the family dog – I’ll talk about that some other time.
Today I’ll talk about how you can get the best cutting board possible and give you my thoughts on some of the best products around today! 🙂
What to Consider When Buying the Best Cutting Board?
1. The Material it’s Made out of
This is one of the most important things to consider when buying a cutting board since each material offers its own unique host of benefits and downsides.
I’ll list most of them for you here, and you can choose what fits you the best:
Wooden Cutting Boards
- The Good – If properly maintained, they are incredibly durable, and they will keep your knives in good shape.
- The Bad – It’s difficult to maintain, requiring regular oiling, and it can easily absorb harmful bacteria and filth. They are also more expensive than other types.
Bamboo Cutting Boards
- The Good – These boards are more affordable than most others, and they will not ruin your knives. They’re also less porous than wooden cutting boards.
- The Bad – They are among the less durable boards out there, and they require almost as much maintenance as wooden boards. Your knives also might get stuck in the grooves.
Stone and Glass Cutting Boards
- The Good – They are incredibly easy to clean and maintain since you can just plop them in the dishwasher without worrying about it. They’re also among the most durable cutting boards around.
- The Bad – They will ruin your knives, especially the more delicate ones and they can easily gather bacteria on their surface. Their price is also quite high most of the time.
Plastic Cutting Boards
- The Good – The most affordable cutting boards out there, they are easy to clean in the dishwasher, and they are completely non-porous.
- The Bad – These are probably the least durable cutting boards and the ones most prone to harboring harmful bacteria and filth, even after cleaning, as studies have found. They also get scratched easily, and you can cut right through them if you use a bit too much strength.
2. The Size and Shape
- For this, you need to consider what you want to work with and the size of your kitchen counter. If you want to cut small pieces of meat, you’ll probably make do with a 14 to the 16-inch-long board, but if you want to cut a whole chicken or turkey, you’ll need something bigger. In that case, you need something at least 20 inches wide and 15 inches long.
- Most cutting boards are roughly square-shaped, and most people think that’s the best shape there is! However, round cutting boards can save you more space and offer a better cutting environment for some types of food. There are also a lot of inventive designs out there that might fit you better than a simple square.
3. The Functionality that it Offers
- You might think – cutting boards are used for cutting stuff on them, what else is there? Well, there can be quite a lot! They can have rubberized rims that can make them stand solidly on the counter, for example. Some boards have in-built drains for blood and other fluids that pour out when carving meat.
- Some boards have small spikes on them that will help keep the meat in place while you cut it, allowing you to put more strength into your cuts without worrying about slippage. Some boards might also be used for serving food and have in-built sauce trays and so on. They can have a lot of different, helpful functions – you just need to go out and discover them.
4. How Long It Will Last
- The durability of a board is something you need to consider, especially when you compare that with the cost. The best boards will last for years on end, but the worse ones might break in a matter of months or, even worse, retain bacteria and contaminate your food.
- Looking at customer reviews before purchasing is probably the best thing you can do to find out how sturdy and safe a board is. Make sure you’re buying the right thing before you hand over your money!
The Best Cutting Boards on the Market Today: My Thoughts and Reviews 2019
This is a decent plastic cutting board that’s 10.5 inches long and 14.5 inches wide, with a thickness of 0.5 inches. It is made from non-porous plastic and features non-slip edges and soft grips that will allow you to keep control of it at all times. Included in the design are indentations near the edges that will catch any liquid that’s spilled from whatever you’re cutting.
The board is easy to clean, and it fits in my dishwasher just fine, but be aware that it won’t fit in every dishwasher – it will simply be too large for some of them. Make sure not to put it in a part of the dishwasher that’s exposed to a lot of heat – it will warp.
It does have some durability issues the largest of which is how easy it is to stretch by accident.
Still, it’s a decently-sized, affordable cutting board that will stay stable. It’s more than worth the cost.
This is an extremely affordable set of three cutting boards, all made out of bamboo. The largest board is 13 by 9.5 inches; the medium one is 11 by 8.5 while the smallest one measures up at 8 by 6 inches. All of them are 3/8 inches thick.
The thing that can’t be understated here is how you get three boards for the price that’s lower than the cost of most singular cutting boards. They’re also easier to clean than most other boards since you can just put them into the dishwasher!
However, they aren’t perfect. While the cutting boards are useful and can be used on both sides, none of them are exceptionally large, and you certainly can’t carve a whole chicken or turkey on them. They also tend to absorb a lot of smells, and they don’t seem to wash out.
This is still a great deal for a few small cutting boards that will last for a decent amount of time.
This is a nice bamboo cutting board made with a hole in the middle that’s meant to be used with cutting board mats. You get seven of them with this board, all in different colors. The board also features feet made out of silicone so it won’t slip or move when you’re cutting food on it.
Overall, it’s a decently sized cutting board, measuring in at 16.5 by 13.4 inches and it is exceptionally thick – a full 1.2 inches. The mats themselves are a bit smaller, and they are designed to fit into the hole in the middle of the board that’s 15 by 12 inches, just like the mats.
The board is quite bulky and difficult to clean, so make sure you need something of this size.
The board itself is extremely durable and sturdy, owing to its thickness, but the same can’t be said for the mats. They are easy to cut through. Another issue is that liquids seep under the mats when they are on the board, making it all more difficult to clean.
Overall, it’s a good product with a few kinks that you’ll need to work out, but it’s worth it.
This cutting board is larger than most others you’ll find, measuring up at 18 by 12.5 inches, which is more than enough for almost anything you might cut or carve in your kitchen. This does make it a bit unwieldy and difficult to clean, but if you need a board of this size that’s par for the course.
The board is difficult to maintain as well, you need to clean it properly, and the indents for liquid make that a bit difficult. It also needs to be oiled, but even then it tends to splinter. Luckily, the company offers lifetime replacements that they follow up on.
Overall, it’s a good, large cutting board that comes at a decent price and you can even use it as a serving tray for food.
The best thing about this cutting board is the fact that it can be personalized with a unique inscription in one of many different designs. It also comes in a wide variety of different sizes, from small to extremely large.
That makes it a perfect housewarming or wedding gift since it looks beautiful and is perfectly functional. The side with the inscription is for decoration, and the other side is meant for cutting the food on.
Sadly, the inscription tends to wash out quite quickly, and most of the board sizes available aren’t extremely large. In addition to that, it’s costly, and it doesn’t have the functionality of most other boards. It’s good for a gift, but it’s not exactly great value for money.
The Best Cutting Board is…
I know that not everyone will agree with my choice, but I’m sure that most people will like it. As far as I’m concerned this board has everything one might need and more, at a fair price.
Okay, okay, I won’t delay it any longer – for me, the best cutting board out there is certainly the Seville Classics Easy-to-Clean Cutting Board.
It is a bit on the bulkier side, but it also offers almost everything you might want from a cutting board, and it will last for a long time while also being kind to your knives.
It’s an amazing cutting board that everyone should check out. And I’m glad you checked this article out as well!
Until next time, have fun in your kitchen! 😉