Best Cutlery Set Reviews 2018: Top 5+ Recommended
Top 5 Cutlery Sets 2018
One of the foundations of a well-run kitchen is good kitchen equipment, and you can’t get more basic than a cutlery set!
Cutlery has a long history and it’s no wonder it’s still mostly the same after all these years. It’s not something you buy every day, and you should put a lot of thought into it – otherwise, everything you do in the kitchen will suffer.
Just the other day John and I were at a friend’s house for dinner and, since John doesn’t hold back when cutting his meat, he just broke their fork in half!
But my friend said – ‘oh, it’s no big deal, it happens all the time with our cutlery’ – but that shouldn’t be the case. When you buy cutlery, it should last, but plenty of people don’t think about it enough and waste their money.
Today, I’ll go through the basics of buying cutlery and give you my thoughts on the best cutlery sets available right now! 🙂
A Guide to Choosing the Best Cutlery Set
Picking a cutlery set might seem simple – you want sharp knives, forks that can pierce well and spoons that won’t get holes in them – and you’re set!
Well, that’s not quite right – it’s like saying that all you need to do to pick a car is find one that starts up when you put the key into the ignition. The materials it’s made of matter and they can even affect the taste of the food.
There’s so much more to it, and here I’ll tell you what you need to think about to pick the best cutlery set for you:
1. Consider the Materials Used
Cutlery used to be made out of silver for a long time, so long that silverware is used today as a synonym for it, even when it’s not made of silver. With the invention of steel, it has become one of the most popular materials for making cookware of any kind and these days pots, pans, cookers and more are made out of it.
- Stainless steel is the main option for cutlery these days, and it’s easy to see why. It’s durable, resistant to rust and looks good. The quality of the steel is not always the same though – there are three main varieties, labeled as 18/10, 18/8 and 18/0, from best to worst. It’s the ratio of chromium to nickel in the alloy. The more nickel there is, the better the steel becomes at resisting corrosion, cracks, and stains.
- Carbon steel is much the same as stainless steel except better in almost every way - sturdier, easier to sharpen and more difficult to stain but is also more expensive.
- Ceramic is a material that’s sometimes used for the knives in a cutlery set. The ceramic vs. steel knives debate has raged on for quite a long time, and there’s a difference between them. Ceramic knives are sharper but more brittle and can’t be sharpened at home.
- Silver remains a popular and proven material for making cutlery, but the price of it is steep – a 56-piece set will cost you upwards of 3000 dollars. It’s a durable material that requires little maintenance, and it looks great, even when it ages.
- Plastic is by far the worst material, and such cutlery should mostly be used as disposable items that can be used a few times before being discarded. It’s the cheapest and worst option but it has benefits for places like schools and fast food restaurants.
- Wood is also used for disposable cutlery, and it’s a little bit better than plastic but not by much.
2. Check the Quality of the Construction
Regardless of which material is used to make cutlery, it is no guarantee of quality. Even silverware can be completely useless if it’s poorly made and you should always check your cutlery when you’re buying it.
Here are a few tips on what makes a good cutlery set:
- Check if the inside edges of the tines on the forks are rough – if they are, they might break easily.
- Weight the forks and knives in your hand. If they’re too light for their size, they’re probably poorly made.
- Look at your reflection in the bowl of the spoon – the smoother it is, the better polished the spoon and the longer it will last.
- Knock a bit on the handle of forks, spoon and knives to check if they’re hollow or contain large holes inside them from bubbles that formed during metalworking. If they sound hollow, they probably won’t last.
If you keep an eye on these few key things, you should be able to find a set of cutlery that will last, unlike my friend’s set that broke just from my husband’s moderately strong hands pushing on it.
3. What Do You Get in the Set?
You need to know what you’re getting and how much you’re getting when you get a set of cutlery.
- Most cutlery sets have somewhere between 24 and 124 pieces and are fit for six to twelve or even more people. Some boxed sets can even be as small as 4 high-quality pieces meant for special occasions.
- The standard pieces you get in a cutlery set include tablespoons, dinner forks, and knives but they can also include some extras. Tablespoons are the most often extras in cutlery sets, but there are others, like steak knives, butter knives, latte spoons, soup spoons, pastry forks, fish forks, dessert forks and so on.
- Some sets can even include more unusual implements like sporks, sugar tongs, honey spoons, salad servers and more. Consider what you need and pick accordingly – don’t buy sets too large for your needs.
4. Think About the Value for Money
- Weigh the price of the set against the materials it is made out of and the amount of flatware you get in the set and make sure you’re not getting ripped off.
- If you’re unsure of how much the set is worth, go online and check similar sets than contrast and compare to know that you’re getting your money’s worth.
The Best Cutlery Sets on the Market – Barbara’s Detailed Reviews 2018
This is a decent starter set of cutlery that will cover your basic needs. It contains 24 pieces, a total of 6 sets with each containing a table fork, table spoon, table knife, and teaspoon. The set comes packaged in nice boxes and is perfect as a gift.
Despite coming at an incredibly affordable price, this is not a flimsy set of flatware. It is sturdy and not prone to bending easily. The steel it’s made of is not the greatest, though - it’s 18/0 stainless steel, the worst kind – but it still holds up well due to thickness.
Most of the implements seem well designed, the knife cuts well, and the forks seem decent enough while the tablespoons are quite good. The teaspoons are smaller than average which is a bit weird but isn’t a deal breaker.
Overall, it’s a decent starter set at an incredibly good price.
This is a 20-piece set meant for 4 people in total, containing dinner forks, dinner spoons, dinner knives, salad forks and teaspoons – everything you might need. The spoons are probably the best parts of the set, they’re of a good size and are polished to a mirror shine.
The forks are decent, but the teeth are too wide and flat, making it difficult to pick up food at times. The knives are sharp and cut well, but they’re prone to rusting between the serrations if you don’t care for them properly.
While this set is made out of good-quality 18/8 stainless steel, you still need to take care of it properly to avoid rusting. Follow the instructions and don’t let the cutlery air-dry.
Other than that, there are no major downsides, and it’s a good set at a price that’s more than a bargain.
This is a beautifully designed set with great embossing on the handles and overall high-quality design with a satin finish. For the price, this is quite a steal, and you get a total of 20 pieces, including table spoons, table forks, table knives, teaspoons and salad forks – 4 of each.
The sizes are a bit off, though. The tablespoons are generally bigger than average while the teaspoons and salad forks are a bit too small, more akin to child-sized flatware.
Overall, they are incredibly durable and well-polished. The stainless steel used for the construction is 18/10, and it’s highly resistant to rust. All of the pieces work well, and the knives cut well while the points of the forks are sharp enough to pierce any food.
If you want a set of flatware that looks amazing and costs next to nothing while also being highly durable, this is the one for you.
Here we have a complete flatware set intended for 6 people with 30 pieces in total. It contains dinner spoons, dinner knives, dinner forks, dessert forks and dessert spoons. All of them are polished to a mirror shine, and they will last for a long time if you maintain them properly. Don’t leave them sitting in water and don’t let them air-dry after washing.
Even if something happens to the set after you buy it, you don’t need to worry too much for at least 18 months. There’s a great warranty on it, and the company will replace your broken flatware without too much fuss.
It’s not likely that any of this flatware will break easily due to being made out of high-quality 18/10 stainless steel, It can withstand a lot of abuse without breaking or bending.
They’re sharp as well – a bit too sharp though, if you ask me. Even the spoons can cut you if you’re not careful! No, that’s not a joke I’m deadly serious.
Other than that, the only downside is that the teaspoons are too small. Overall, it’s a good set at a reasonable price and with a great warranty.
In this set, you get a full assortment of utensils for 8 people – dinner knives, dinner forks, salad forks, soup spoons and teaspoons. You also get some extras, including 2 serving spoons, 1 serving fork, 1 butter knife and 1 sugar spoon.
This set is not made out of high-quality stainless steel since the steel used is only 18/0 steel, but the utensils are still durable despite that due to being thick and heavy. They are also easy to clean in the dishwasher and never need to be polished to maintain their shine – just don’t leave them wet for a long time.
The set is a bit too expensive for what it is, though, especially considering the quality of the steel, but it works well. The only major complaint is that the knives are a bit too large and heavy so people with smaller hands might have a problem and children certainly can’t use them.
Which Cutlery Set is the Best?
Cutlery is important for any kitchen, and you want to get the best set possible that will last for a long time.
However, you also don’t want to get ripped off and pay too much for some forks and spoons. Due to that, it’s no wonder that today I chose the Utopia Kitchen Flatware Set as the best one out of the lot.
It’s a set made out of great materials with a beautiful, fancy design, it works well, and it comes at a ridiculous price. If you want the best flatware available without breaking the bank, this is the set I would recommend.
Until next time, good luck with your cooking! 🙂