Best Crepe Maker Reviews 2019: Top 5+ Recommended
Are you looking to make beautiful and authentic crepes at home? Stick with me, and I will help you find the best crepe maker for the best price!
As you know, I try my best to eat healthily, and more importantly to prepare healthy food for my kids. However, one of the things we have in common is the love for pancakes!
Every week we have a crepe Sunday where I make homemade crepes, and my family loves it!
Of course, we could go out to eat, but I find using a crepe maker much more delicious, practical and easy on the wallet.
That's why I decided to inform you about crepe makers, how they work, why they are so good and how to choose the best crepe maker on the market. I will also give you an honest opinion on my top 5 crepe makers which I have tried out.
Stay with me and let's start with this sweet adventure!
What Is a Crepe Maker And Why Is It So Good?
A crepe maker is, of course, a cooking device used to make crepes. However, even though that is this product's primary purpose, some crepe makers are suitable for also making eggs, tortillas, galettes and other similar food.
Keep in mind that you shouldn't mistake a crepe maker for a regular pan, or a crepe pan.
As someone who has tried all three options for making crepes, I can say with certainty that a crepe maker is steps ahead of other options because:
- It's practical: A crepe maker takes less space and less effort to use than, for example, a crepe pan does;
- It's much quicker: Because of its large surface and additional equipment, your crepes will be done much faster than with other pans;
- You get perfect crepes every time: It's borderline impossible to make a lousy pancake when you have a good crepe maker - it bakes evenly, and they always come out perfect
- It's very enjoyable: I always have so much fun making crepes this way, and my kids also love watching it!
What Should I Know Before Buying a Crepe Maker?
Before you decide to start your crepe adventure, you should first take a hard look at which crepe maker suits your needs best. Another thing I keep in mind (and you should, too) is the value you get for the price.
You don't have to spend insane amounts of money on a crepe maker, just to have it perform the same as some more affordable ones.
Of course, that's when I come in. I want to inform you about the factors you need to consider before choosing the best crepe maker for you.
1. Gas or Electric Crepe Maker
- The first thing you need to decide on is whether you need a gas crepe maker or an electric one. There are very few differences when it comes to performance. However, there is a difference in where do you use one, and where the other.
- Gas crepe makers are usually used for outdoor events, or if you decide it’s more economical for you to use gas rather than electricity.
- On the other hand, if you have fairly limited space and you want to use your crepe maker in your kitchen, then an electric crepe maker is probably the best choice for you.
- Being a passionate cook and spending most of the time in the kitchen, I have tried mostly electric crepe makers and they worked best for me.
2. Round or square frame
- From my experience, there isn't any difference in performance between these two options. However, I did notice that as far as functionality and practicality are concerned, the square frame was easier to maintain and clean. If you are interested in the aesthetic aspect, square-frame models are usually more stylish.
- On the other hand, if you have restricted and tight space, and want to save up as much as possible, you should probably look for round frame crepe makers. From a budget standpoint, round-framed crepe makers are typically less expensive.
- Essentially, this comes to personal preference - mine is the square frame, but yours might be the opposite.
3. Size and dimensions
- When you want to buy a product, firstly you want to make sure that it's practical for daily usage. That's why size and dimensions are not to be overlooked.
- If you have space in your kitchen, I would advise you to get a larger crepe maker with a bigger cooking surface. This way, you can make more authentic crepes, and it also gives you room to make a mistake, but not make a mess in the kitchen.
- On the other hand, if you are really low on free space, you will probably need a smaller size and dimensions. As far as performance goes, size doesn't affect it. However, it might affect the crepes, as they are less likely to be as thin as they should.
4. Tools included
- Everybody loves free stuff, especially when you already spend a decent amount of money on the product. You guys know how much I like bonus accessories, and that is why I really value the manufacturers who give their customers as much as they can.
- That being said, when it comes to crepe makers, some tools might not be of great value, but others can be vital for your success in crepe making. For example, a batter spreader is essential if you are looking to make authentic crepes and make them thinnest possible.
- Another tool of importance is a specialized spatula which slides under the crepe and helps you to turn and fold the crepe easily. Many crepe makers come with these accessories, but there is a fair number of them which require you to purchase those accessories separately.
- There are a lot of things to consider when it comes to the material. The most vital one is whether you want to use your crepe maker for light-duty home use, or maybe a heavy-duty commercial use?
- A light-duty home use gives you more options because you can virtually go for any material you find more appealing to you. However, the typical light-duty crepe maker has a light plastic exterior and frame, and a non-stick aluminum cooking surface.
- Non-stick materials are the best for a household because they are extremely easy to clean and they don't make a mess.
- For a commercial business, cast iron or stainless steel crepe makers are the best, because they can stand up to the amount of use. Most of the commercial crepe machines come with a stainless steel exterior as well, in order to make the machines highly durable and stand the test of time and abuse.
Most Recommended Crepe Makers: Detailed Reviews 2019
Now that you know everything you need to decide on the best crepe maker for you, let's get to work!
The CucinaPro crepe maker is on the budget-friendly side, but can nevertheless give you a fantastic crepe-making experience.
The material of the cooking surface is non-stick aluminum, which I mentioned was a great choice for the needs of an average user. However, you should be careful with the instruments you use, because it's easily scratchable.
The body of the crepe maker is plastic, which is more practical for home use, but can affect the longevity of the product (at least appearance-wise, if nothing else).
There are some features of this crepe maker which I must mention:
- Rubber feet for extra stability
- On/Off ready light, which lets you know when the plate is hot enough
- 5 different temperature settings, so you have precise control of the heat, no matter what you are preparing.
These can be quite convenient for a beginner; however, I don't think they are deal-breakers.
The size of this crepe maker is suitable for most kitchens, but you have to keep in mind that it's electric, so you need to store it near an electricity source.
The cooking surface's diameter is 12 inches, which is more than enough for making an authentic crepe. The frame is round, which makes this crepe maker even more space-friendly.
This product includes:
- The crepe maker
- A wooden batter spreader
- A recipe book
However, it lacks some important tools such as a spatula and a cup measure. All in all, this is an excellent deal for the price, but if it had more additional equipment, this crepe maker would be a no-brainer for many users.
G&M Kitchen Essentials went all when it comes to this crepe maker. This kitchen appliance is an excellent choice if you like to experiment with your crepes.
First thing is first - the material of the body is plastic, while the cooking surface/griddle is non-stick aluminum.
In addition, the frame is round, which makes this crepe maker space-friendly and easy to store away, but also to keep on the counter if you are a heavy user. The large 12-inch diameter is also ideal for traditional French crepes.
I found this crepe maker practical even for trips where you know you won't have a kitchen of your own - it can be a great cooking option in a hotel room, as it's so portable.
You know how much I like versatility, and this crepe maker is great for experimenting. The set includes:
- A 100-recipe cookbook for endless ideas
- A wooden spatula for easy flipping and lifting
- A wooden batter spreader
Considering the inspiration you can get from this cookbook, as well as the fact that you don't need to buy any tools separately, this crepe maker is a great deal.
It's also important to mention that this crepe maker has a built-in indicator light which lets you know when the cooking plate is hot enough, which is a convenient feature for beginners.
Morning Star's crepe maker is more on the expensive side, but great if you want a sturdy appliance to last you a long time.
The material of the cooking surface is non-stick aluminum, which is a dream for domestic use. The body is plastic but enriched with metal parts, which makes this crepe maker more durable than all-plastic ones. It's also electric, like all other crepe makers on this list.
The frame is round, which is the better option for space economy, but keep in mind that the diameter is 13 inches - an entire inch larger than the usual 12.
In my opinion, this can only be a bonus - the bigger the crepe, the better! The only problem you might have is if you have extremely limited space.
I like the minor details which can help improve your crepe-making experience, such as:
- Rubber feet for a stable use
- Indicator light which tells you when the plate has reached the desired temperature
- Temperature control dial which enables you to adjust the temperature
As I already said, these features aren't important enough to make this product a must-buy. However, if you are a person who pays attention to details, you would definitely be pleased with this practical element.
As far as additional tools are concerned, I must say I am disappointed with only the batter spreader. In my opinion, for this price, there should be more items included.
Proctor Silex might not be the most well-known company out there, but I decided to give their crepe maker a try - and I wasn't disappointed.
This crepe maker gives you the maximum value for the price, so if you are on a tight budget and want to spend your money smart, this might be the crepe maker for you.
The material is standard for these domestic-based crepe makers: an aluminum, non-stick cooking surface, and a plastic body for easy usage and storing away.
The frame is round, just like you would expect for home use, and it makes this slightly larger crepe maker still practical. The 13-inch diameter is a great way to get extra large crepes and have even more fun with cooking.
This crepe maker has 8 different heat levels, which gives you excellent control depending on what you want to make.
As far as tools are concerned, all the vital ones are included:
- A batter cup
- A batter spreader
- An extra-large spatula
It's important to mention that all of these are plastic, which I found even better than wooden tools. They simply performed better for me. I am delighted with the variety of these additional tools, and it's an excellent bonus for the company.
Another bonus which must be mentioned is the warranty - the manufacturer offers a 1-year limited warranty for this item, which can definitely come in handy.
This Eurolux crepe maker was an absolute hit, primarily because it was so expensive. Much different than all other crepe makers, this one stands out for its uniqueness.
If you are looking for a fun-to-use appliance and you have some money to spare, this crepe maker might interest you.
The shape of this crepe maker is like a pan - it has a handle, and you use it as if you'd use any other frying pan. The cooking surface is aluminum and non-stick, while the body is plastic.
It has an electric base with cord wrap for easy storage, but a disadvantage might be the shape because the handle makes it difficult to store it away.
This crepe maker has a significantly smaller diameter than all previous ones - 7.5 inches cooking surface. Although the crepes are the same, you could never achieve those authentic, large crepes with this crepe maker.
The whole process in which you make crepes is different than with standard crepe makers. For the preparation of crepes, you get:
- A dipping plate
- A batter spreader
- An instruction/recipe booklet
As I said, this crepe maker makes this experience playful - you dip the cooking surface in the dipping plate filled with batter. Surprisingly, you do get paper-thin pancakes!
The instruction booklet is probably necessary because the use of this product is quite tricky when you start, but after some time it does get much more natural.
All in all, I was interested in what this crepe maker gives you that others don't (considering the high price).
However, I would still go for a more traditional crepe maker anytime.
The Best Crepe Maker Is…
This was a hard decision to make, mainly because all of the crepe makers on this list are worthy of this title. However, there was one crepe maker that stood out when I compared the value and the cost, and that is the Proctor Silex 38400 Electric Crepe Maker.
I couldn't think of anything that the company could have offered that they already didn't.
In my opinion, this crepe maker has it all, and therefore I would recommend it to anyone, whether as a gift or for your domestic use.
I hope I helped you with this difficult choice you have to make. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me anytime.
Happy cooking, everyone! 🙂