Best Countertop Water Filter Reviews 2019: Top 5+ Recommended
Are you a newcomer to the world of countertop water filters? No need to worry I have found the best countertop water filter for you!
I am a mother of two little girls and, therefore, worrying is my normal state. I know that all of you moms out there know what I mean. From where they are at any given moment to what they eat and drink - my mind is always obsessing over how I can increase the quality of their life, and keep them healthy and happy.
Unfortunately, there are many things we parents, no matter how much we love our children or how hard we try, do not have any control over. However, this should not deter us from our path - quite oppositely, it is one more reason why we have to do all the things we can, the best way we can do them.
Some normal day-to-day things that are easy to change can make a significant difference in your child's life. Water your children drink is one of them.
Even my favorite actress, the famous Audrey Hepburn, was aware of the real value of water and said that water is life, and that clean water means health. Let me ask you, who wouldn't want for his or her child to be as healthy as it can be?
I have given some serious thought to what kind of water my children drink. Tap water is undoubtedly convenient and costs almost nothing, but I wondered is it the best option for my children? My conclusion was: “Definitely not”! After all, I have read, I am 100 % sure that I need to do something.
Drinking tap water on a daily basis represents a hazard to your health. There are numerous contaminants in water that can be particularly dangerous for individuals with autoimmune diseases or weak immune systems. Unfortunately, children are at the greatest risk as well.
How to supply your children with healthy water in your home?
After a lot of research and calculation, I believe that countertop water filters are the simplest and most economical solution. The tricky part is to choose the best countertop water filter as they are all advertised as miraculous.
Do not worry though; I have done all the hard work for you - all you need to do now is lay back and read - I have found the best countertop water filter currently on the market.
Make sure you have The Best Water Bottles too!
Choosing the Best Countertop Water Filter for Your Home
Countertop water filters seem to be the easiest way to guarantee safe drinking water for your loved ones. There is an array of different water filters out there though, and choosing the best countertop water filter to suit your needs can prove to be quite a task!
There are numerous things you need to compare before you set your mind to a particular type or brand of countertop filter. It is a tedious process, to say the least, but one worth going through as it will provide you with clean, healthy water. and water equals life, remember?
What aspects should you keep in mind when buying the best countertop water filter?
There are two types of countertop water filters you can choose from according to your personal preferences and needs:
- Water Filter Pitchers are not connected to your faucet, and that makes them highly practical, although it might not seem that way at first glance.This type of water filter will not interfere with the sink’s countertop, and that can be a great bonus when that area is narrow or small. Pitcher filters can be moved around as well, and thus you can bring them along when you go on your holiday or even to your office. I also like the idea of adding fresh fruit slices or even cucumber slices or mint leaves to the pitcher, as that would make your water even tastier and healthier. You cannot do that with a faucet water filter. On the downside, these filters need to be refilled periodically, and that can be a hustle.
- Faucet filters, as their name suggests, connect directly to the faucet. They are not only highly efficient but also super easy to use. These filters can be installed in a matter of minutes, and there is no learning curve, even your kids can start using the faucet filter right away. Unfortunately, there is a downside to this type of filter as well - you can never be quite sure how much water they filtered and when it is time for their required maintenance.
- Make sure that you consider the size of the water filter before you buy it or you might end up lacking the space for it or being unable to fit it next to your faucet. The size of the pitcher filter is even more important to consider as it will dictate its capacity as well.
- Balance between your needs and how much space you are ready to sacrifice. We all know that there are numerous appliances already sitting there on your countertop and you need to have free space for your cooking adventures too.
3. Filter Capacity
- All water filters remove harmful substances from your drinking water, but some do a better job at it than others. Likewise, water filters are supposed to neutralize the disagreeable odor or foul taste, eliminate the sediment and heavy metals, but some are more efficient than others. For example, some filters remove chloramines while others do not; some are better at neutralizing chlorine while some even remove the beneficial minerals.
- For this reason, you should get informed on the filtering capacity of the filter you plan to buy. It is essential to know what elements that specific filter can remove from your drinking water. You can also use a water test kit that will tell you the water’s pH, heavy metal concentration, hardness, and other important values. Once you have all that information, you can choose a filter that is sure to remove the most harmful elements in your water.
- We all have our budget, and you know the best how much you can afford to pay for a water filtering system. There are various filtering systems available on the market, so you are sure to find the one that fits your budget too. Most expensive ones are not necessarily the best, so do not despair if you cannot afford one.
- Price is important, but it is even more important that a filter you choose removes the contaminants found in your water. If your water is contaminated by heavy metals, you can choose a more basic model as most filters remove heavy metals from water. However, if your water needs to be cleaned from pesticides and pharmaceuticals, you might need to choose a model that’s more expensive and good at removing chloramines.
- Filters do not last forever and therefore installing one is just the beginning of a beautiful friendship. You will have to make sure that your new friend is up to the task and perform regular maintenance.
- Every filter has its maximum capacity, some will reach it in a few months while others can last up to a year, but each model will eventually require a filter change. If you fail to replace a filter once it has reached the maximum capacity and continue using it the water will not get filtered and it will be the same as the tap water.
- Maximum filtering capacity is usually not influenced by the starting price of the unit, but the change can be pricey indeed. It is thus best to get informed about how much a filter change will cost before you buy a particular model.
6. Taste Altering
- Healthy drinking water does not necessarily mean a better tasting one. People often complain that filtered water tastes strange or even bad. We are sadly accustomed to drinking chlorinated water, and that is why we need time to get used to drinking unchlorinated one.
- As I already mentioned, some filters do not remove only the bad stuff but also good stuff you need, i.e. healthy minerals such as Calcium and Magnesium. Luckily, some models remineralize your water making it tasty and healthy again!
7. Ease Of Use
- Faucet water filters are by definition more comfortable to use than pitcher water filters. Most of the time you just turn on the faucet, and that's it. On the other hand, filter pitchers need to be refilled when the water runs out which can be pretty tiresome and can even make some people give up filtering water altogether - I have seen it happen.
- The best countertop water filter needs to be certified so that you can be sure that it is 100% safe to use, especially if you have children. We know that manufacturers tend to exaggerate when it comes to their products, and water filter manufacturers are not an exception.
- The NSF International and Water Quality Association (WQA) are two independent organizations which test the water filter systems for you and certify those that deliver on their promises. For that reason search for water filters that carry their logos.
9. Alkaline Water
There are countertop water filters which can make your water more alkaline. Why is that a good thing?
- Alkaline water helps strengthen your immunity but is also believed to have anti-aging properties. Some even claim that alkaline water can help you lose weight. Let's say that half of it is true; it is still a good enough reason to try to find a water filter which makes your drinking water more alkaline.
I have considered all of these aspects and comprised a list of Top 5 Countertop Water Filters. These are definitely five currently best faucet type water filters around. I have tested them and reviewed them accordingly, so merely continue reading, and you will have all the vital information at hand.
Most Recommended Countertop Water Filters In 2019: Detailed Reviews
The Apex countertop water filter is a modern looking, faucet type water filter that is sure to remove up to 99% of the contaminants including chlorine, bacteria, parasites, arsenal, fluoride, toxic minerals, pesticides, and metals such as lead and mercury. The good news is that the beneficial minerals are added back into your drinking water! The filtered water is also made alkaline and thus healthier to drink.
There is even more good news: the unit (sized 6 x 6 x 14 inches) is easy to set up, use and requires almost no maintenance, except regular filter replacement of course. The capacity of the filter is 750 gallons of water, and although it is advertised to last a year for a family of five, I think that that is an exaggeration and that you will need to replace the filter in about 5-6 months. The replacement filters are reasonably priced.
This countertop water filter is NSF certified and comes with a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee and limited one-year manufacturer's warranty. It might seem a bit pricey, but you get a lot for the money paid. It fits most faucets but can sometimes get in the way depending on the model of your faucet.
The Ronaqua One Stage countertop water filter is a budget-friendly faucet type water filter that will not take up too much of your space nor interfere with‚ the normal operation of your faucet (sized 5 x 5 x 10 inches). It will take only a couple of minutes to install as it is super easy to set up and connects directly to your existing tap.
The high-quality carbon filter removes most of the contaminants that can interfere with your health including sediment, scale, sand, silt, and rust that would otherwise be in your drinking water. It betters the taste of the water and eliminates the strong odor of chlorine. Unfortunately, this is a basic model that will not remineralize your water or make it more alkaline.
The filter lasts for up to six months, and the replacement filter price is reasonable in comparison to the cost of the unit. It fits most standard 10”x 2.5” water filter cartridges too which can be a good thing when you wish to have a filter with some advanced filtering options.
The Home Master TMJRF2E Jr F2 is yet another pricier model of faucet type water filters that will remove most of the harmful contaminants from your drinking water. It does not take up too much space (4.5 x 6 x 12 inches), and it is easy to install and use. You can take it with you when you travel as well.
To begin with, this filter removes up to 93% of the fluoride from your water, but it is also great at filtering chloramines, chlorine and many microcontaminants such as pharmaceuticals. Your water will also be free from the bacteria and parasites. The only problem is the capacity of the filter since it requires a change every three months or so. The replacement can be a bit of a hustle too.
The three-year warranty provides you with a sense of security that your water system will prove reliable over the years. Unfortunately, the filter has not been certified yet.
The Ecosoft countertop water filter system is not only budget-friendly but also highly economical faucet type water filter. Namely, this filter has a capacity of whopping 1500 gallons of water, which makes this unit one of those with the least future investment needed. It is also very compact (3.5 x 3.5 x 12 inches) and thus suitable for transport as well.
Low price does not necessarily mean low quality, and this unit proves that too. It might be basic in every sense, but it removes most of the contaminants the more expensive models remove including the sediment particles, heavy metals, and chlorine. This filter also eliminates bad tastes and odors.
You get everything you need to install the unit, even the tools. However, the installation process is not a breeze as the instructions lack detailed explanations. Luckily, in the internet era, it is not that big of a problem.
CleanWater4Less® is a highly innovative and popular countertop water filter. What is different about this model? The difference lies in its filter capacity. Namely, a single filter can eliminate the contaminants in about 10,000 gallons of your drinking water, and this means that you do not need to think about replacing the filter for a very long time. Convenient, to say the least.
Besides being affordable and extremely cost-effective, this filter is also very efficient. The test proved that this filter removes most dangerous chemicals, harmful minerals, and bacteria from drinking water. It removes chlorine as well but does not eliminate fluoride. The problem is that from time to time floating particles of charcoal appear in the water.
Regardless of its miraculous capacity, the unit is as compact as any other faucet water filter (5 x 5 x 9.5 inches). It is also as easy to install and use. The set up will require only a few minutes of your precious time. The only major issue is that there are no physical indications as to when the carbon has depleted. In order to be sure, you would have to perform some tests (such as OTO test for chlorine).
Final Words: The Best of the Best
Although I have personally liked all the models I have reviewed, and they all made a huge difference in the quality of the water we drink, I must say that Apex Water Countertop Filter is definitely one step ahead.
Apex water filter is certified and makes your water much healthier as well as more alkaline. As my goal is to have the best and healthiest water for my children, I believe that this model is an answer to my prayers!
You can go for any of the reviewed models in accordance with your preferences or your budget just keep in mind the recommendations I have given you - most of all whether that specific filter will eliminate the pollutants found in the water in your area. The certifications and capacities of the filters are also important to look into.
Now that your water is pure, make it cool and refreshing too: Find The Best Water Cooler! 🙂