Best Copper Cookware Reviews 2019: Top 5+ Recommended
As you probably already know, I have a wide range of cookware that I use to prepare all those lovely dishes I constantly share here with you.
I have already bought and reviewed the copper pans, and satisfied with their performance, I have decided to widen my collection of copper cookware.
Although copper cookware is both very expensive and very hard to maintain (I will inform you about it in the following text), I, as well as many professionals worldwide, think it is worth the effort and money spent.
For this reason, I decided to try to find the best copper cookware for you and my home - so make sure to continue reading!
All You Need To Know About Copper Cookware
I have always admired copper cookware because of its great heat transmission and good adaptation to rapid temperature changes. This is exactly why copper cookware is so popular among professionals but also home cooks such as myself.
Another feature that is sure to catch your eye is the shiny brownish look which makes the pieces of copper cookware appear stylish and traditional at the same time. Besides being very useful, you can also display it in your kitchen as it is sure to beautify it as well. Are you intrigued by now?
Alas! As I already mentioned, as much as copper cookware is beautiful, it might not be enough to persuade you to own it because it has one significant disadvantage.
Namely, this type of cookware requires a lot of tiresome maintenance to keep it looking shimmery and avoid corrosion. If you are a busy woman such as I, you will have a hard time finding enough free time to polish your cookware.
Another possible drawback of copper cookware is a rather high price which can deter many, especially those on a tight budget, from buying this type of cookware. The best stainless steel cookware costs less than a copper one, and thus a lot of people simply settle for that option.
On the other hand, copper cookware has a lot of advantages too. I have already mentioned that It transmits heat rapidly, and if you change the level of heat this cookware will react quickly, adapt to changes and there will be no hot spots that might lead to uneven cooking. In this way, you will control the temperature more easily and avoid burning your culinary specialties.
I have a useful tip I have heard from an old friend of mine who happens to be a professional cook, avoid cooking too acidic and alkalic ingredients, since copper will react with these substances and your cookware can end up damaged.
Since copper is such reactive element, you also have to avoid leaving food in it for a long time and rather wash it immediately after use making sure that it is completely dry before you store it away. Every drop of water can lead to discoloration, and your copper cookware looking uncared for.
You also have an option to choose cookware which is not made from pure copper but with copper cores.
There are two options you can choose from if you opt for this solution:
1. Copper Core Cookware Which Is Clad Bonded
- If you use cookware with a copper core, you will preserve the advantage of having cookware which is extremely thermally sensitive and heats very quickly. The term clad bonded means that the copper core is positioned in between layers made of two different metals. In this way, this cookware has harder, more resilient and, most importantly more easily maintained surface.
- Basically, you enjoy all the benefits of copper without having to polish it every day, isn’t it lovely? I bet you said yes, but read on there is one more option.
2. Tri-Ply Cookware With Copper Core
- Most often tri-ply cookware features a copper exterior, stainless steel interior, and aluminum core, and is very durable. Due to aluminum, it spreads the heat evenly, while copper allows it to heat up rather quickly. The stainless steel on the inside allows you to cook almost any ingredients without the fear that you will damage the surface.
The Health Benefits of Cooking With Copper Cookware
1. It can help you lose weight
- When you eat or drink food or liquids infused with copper, you speed up the process of fat cells breaking down in your body and thus also eliminate the fat out of your organism. It is not a miracle maker, but copper does contribute to obtaining a healthy weight.
2. It is good for your digestive system
- Copper can help you fight constipation. In essence, copper helps detox the stomach, reduces acidity and prevents harmful waste from forming in your body.
3. It has anti-bacterial properties
- The microorganisms present in cookware pose a treat for your and your family's health, especially when you leave your food sitting in it for some time. On the other hand, copper has natural antibacterial properties, and thus harmful microorganisms cannot survive long in copper cookware. Copper inhibits the growth of dangerous bacteria that can seriously damage our health such as Salmonella or Escherichia Coli.
- Generally, your body needs copper; it is an essential mineral which helps you stay healthy. It is not produced by our body, but we definitely need it.
Extra Tip: How To Clean The Inside Of Copper Cookware
While I have already mentioned the importance of polishing the outside of the copper cookware to preserve its shiny surface look, I have to add that it is also essential to care for the interior as well, especially when it is unlined.
For best results make a mixture of vinegar and salt or rub the inside with half a lemon and generously sprinkle salt on top of it. Leave it for about ten minutes and then rinse it thoroughly.
Of course, dry it well.
Avoid using the dishwasher as it may shorten the lifespan of your copper elements. Also, do not use detergents which contain bleach due to its corrosive properties
See Also: Gotham Steel Pan Reviews
What to Look for When Buying the Best Copper Cookware?
- Shiny finish - it is not just a matter of good look, but dark, shabby looking exterior can also signal bad quality. The exterior should look luxurious as it usually implies a lot of work and thought put into producing the cookware which is a guarantee of high quality and durability - which takes us to the second feature worth considering, so do read on.
- Durability - of course, you cannot know just by looking at the cookware if it will be able to serve you for years to come. But, thanks to the internet, you can get informed by reading verified reviews and buying guides such as this one.
- Compatibility with your kitchen appliances - You can buy the best looking and highest quality cookware but if you cannot use it with your induction plate, or in your oven, it will not serve its purpose.
- The number of elements you get for the set price and their size.
- And... The price.
Also, if you do not pay a lot of attention to treating your cookware with care, make sure that the surface is scratch resistant and dishwasher-safe.
Although these things might seem trivial to some, they might be a deal-breaker for others.
Guide to Successful Cooking in Copper Cookware
1. Prepare all you need before you start cooking
- Why? Cooper cookware will heat up in no time, and there will be little time left for you to look for ingredients and utensils you need if you want to avoid overheating or burning of your specialties.
2. Choose your utensils wisely
- It is best to opt for wooden or silicone kitchen utensils to preserve the sensitive inner lining from scratches.
3. Do not pre-heat the pan
4. Set the right temperature
- Avoid using copper cookware with extremely high temperatures or open flames. The best option is to set the medium-high level of temperature.
Most Recommended Copper Cookware Sets: Detailed Reviews 2019
When I opened the package, I was delighted to see a unique looking set of copper cookware I can proudly display in my kitchen.
It has a traditional feel to it, but also modern lines and can adhere to both streams. The set includes four elements: 1.5 QT Saucepan (7" x 3’’), 4.0 QT Saucepan (9" x 3.75"), 8.5 QT Dutch oven (10" x 7"), and a Frying Pan (9.5" x 2"). All the elements come with corresponding lids.
This set is not pure copper though, the body is made from cast aluminum and is only coated with a mixture of copper and ceramic that the manufacturer refers to as Coppe-ramic Coating. The handles are made from stainless steel. There are no harmful substances such as PTFE or PFOA.
The elements heat rapidly and evenly, and nothing sticks to the surface, I have even made pancakes for my boys. The instructions state that this set is dishwasher-safe, but I rather hand-wash mine using mild soap, because I believe that it will preserve the nonstick surface for longer. It washes easily, mess-free, but is very sensitive to scratches as well.
Besides being compatible with most stovetops, including the induction ones, it is also oven safe. If you have a ceramic stove top, you will be glad to know that there is a coating on the bottom which will prevent any scratching.
See Also: Best Gas Cooktops
If I have described the previous set as unique, this one has to be called luxurious, as it really deems lavish and justifies its high price. As the name suggests, it features a tri-ply stainless steel-clad construction with copper finish.
The set consists of six elements and four stainless-steel lids, but some lids can fit more than one pot or pan so that you always have a compatible lid for every element you currently use. The elements included are 1.5 qt saucepan, 2.5 qt saucepan with helper handle, 4 qt saute pan, 6 qt stockpot, and two skillets an 8" and 10" one.
The cooking surface is not no-stick one, it is made from highly polished stainless steel, but I have used some cooking oil and had no issues with it. I have also had no problems with riveted stainless steel handles as they stay rather cool to the touch. The lids fit perfectly on the rims, and there is almost no evaporation, and thus the smells stay contained in the pans.
On the downside, the copper finish on the outside is super sensitive and tarnishes easily. It seems that copper is coming off with every washing. The cookware is not dishwasher safe either. I even tried polishing it, but it still showed a lot of signs of use after being used for only a few times.
As soon as I saw the traditional-looking hammered copper exterior of the elements, I was in love with this Lagostina cookware set. But the beautiful vintage look is not the only reason I liked this set, it has a high-quality try-ply structure as well, and as soon as I have used it for the first time, I could notice a great heat control and retention.
The set consists from skillet (8"), skillet (10"), 2qt and 3qt saucepans with lids, 3qt deep saute pan with a lid and a 6qt stockpot with a lid. In fact, you have all the cookware you need to cook meals for an average family in this single set.
See Also: Best Electric Skillet Reviews
The interior is made entirely from stainless steel, and the core is a thick heat-radiating aluminum. Some things do stick to the surface, but steel is definitely a healthier option for preparing your food in comparison to non-stick materials. It also helps preserve the flavors. Handles are comfortable and never become too hot to hold.
The cookware is oven-safe and compatible with all the stovetops except the induction one.
Unfortunately, as most copper cookware, it must be hand washed. In fact, if you want to avoid the surface color fading, you should use mild detergents and special copper cleaners at least once per month.
If you are on a tight budget, you might want to miss reading on the next two reviews, because I am going to introduce Crème Brulee among copper cookware, which will set you back for more than a thousand dollars. However, this cookware will also last you a lifetime or even longer, so that you will surely be able to pass it on to your children one day.
Bourgeat set is made from pure copper, 2.5 mm thick on the outside and lined with 1.1 mm of polished stainless steel on the inside. It is a real piece of art, and like most masterpieces, it is made in France. The set consists of one 5 3/4 Qt. casserole with (9 1/2''), 2 5/8 Qt. saucepan (7 1/8"), 2 3/4 Qt. flared saute pan (9 1/2"), 5 1/4 Qt. Brazier (11"), and four corresponding lids.
If the looks don’t persuade you to break your bank, the culinary performance will surely do. It heats up in a matter of seconds and conducts the heat uniformly. There is no need for high temperatures, but you should always use some oil or butter if you want to avoid sticking.
If regular washing does not remove everything, soak the cookware for about ten minutes, and then wipe off clean. Never use a dishwasher. The set is compatible with all heat sources minus the induction.
Polishing is a must if you hope to retain the luxurious look for years to come. Unfortunately, the manufacturer did not provide the instruction how to best care for this quite expensive set.
This is the second set which is quite expensive but also hi-end and sure to last - it has a lifetime warranty to prove it!
It features one element more than the previous copper set and consists of 1.9 qt. and 2.7 qt. saucepans with lids, 3.2 qt. saute pan with lid, 6.4 qt. stockpot with lid, and a skillet (10’’).
These elements should be all you need to have around your kitchen, so if you buy this set, you can make a yard sale and sell your old cookware to get back some of the money spent.
Joking aside, this copper set is really superb and made from 90% 2.5-mm thick copper lined with 10% 18/10 stainless steel. The handles are made from polished bronze. Once again, French craftsmanship is responsible for its beauty.
I have had no issues while cooking, quite oppositely, it was a great experience well worth the money invested. The control one has over cooking when using this copper cookware is amazing.
The only complaint I have are a bit poorly-made lids, and when I say this I mean in comparison with the other elements of this set- they simply look a bit less luxurious. The set is compatible with every stovetop and can be used in the oven as well.
Of course, it will not work with induction. Cleaning and polishing must be done with care, as already mentioned throughout this text.
And the winner is…
Matfer 915901 Bourgeat Copper Cookware Set, as it is really magnificent inside out and from top to bottom!
If you decide to invest that much money, you will surely not regret it by choosing this best copper cookware set currently on the market.
If however, you are on a tight budget but still want to be able to enjoy the traditional shimmer of copper, I wholeheartedly recommend CONCORD Ceramic Coated Copper Cookware , as it is a quite successful blend of modern materials dressed in the beautiful orange copper lining.
Whichever set you choose you are sure to make your kitchen more attractive and your cooking more pleasant, so do not hesitate! 🙂