Best Butane Torch Reviews 2019: Top 5+ Recommended
Do you think that only professional chefs use butane torches in the kitchen?
If you do, let me change your mind!
I started using a butane torch in my home a couple of years ago, and my life hasn't been the same since. My husband often says that my cooking has improved since I started using a butane torch, and he claims that the food tastes even better!
If you are looking for ways to improve your dishes and make them even fancier, this is an excellent solution.
Are you interested in buying a butane torch and want good quality and value for the price? You’re at the right place.
Now, let me help you choose the best butane torch for you!
What is a butane torch?
I suppose you have all heard of butane torches at least a dozen times. There are a lot of different butane torches and they are used for a variety of things, from jewelry making to construction.
However, you might not know that a butane torch is widely used in the kitchen as well. You might even have one sitting in your garage or backyard!
Of course, you shouldn't use your regular butane torch for kitchen purposes. There are special kitchen butane torches made just for that. A cooking torch is a device that uses butane, which is a highly flammable gas, to create a small, focused, scorching flame.
Sounds exciting, right? Mix that up with some exciting food, and you will get true culinary works of art!
Contrary to the popular opinion, butane torches are not used only for caramelizing sugar. It can also be used for melting all kinds of toppings on casseroles or soups, melting cheese, searing a crust on your delicious steak and even roasting or charing vegetables.
When you get used to using a butane torch, you will find even more uses for it, and your family and friends will love it.
How to choose the best butane torch?
As there are many butane torches on the market, I will try to help you choose the best butane torch you could possibly find.
Many things go into the search, but I will address some of the crucial ones:
1. Anti-flare neck
- You shouldn't even consider buying a butane torch if it doesn't have an anti-flare neck. This is important because you should (and must) be able to use your torch from any angle, without the risk of the flame flaring back onto your fingers. That is why the best butane torches are designed this way.
2. A safety lock
- If you have children, this one is an absolute must. Safety is our number one priority in kitchen, especially with hot, flaming items! Believe me, you don't want to stress out about accidentally pressing a button and having a heart attack.
- On the other hand, even if you don’t have children who could possibly want to play with fire just like mom does (been there, done that), you still want to avoid the risk of any mistakes and accidents happening.
- Of course, you shouldn’t be scared - butane torches can be totally safe, you just need to find the right one, and that’s why I’m here.
3. Gas refill and burn time
- If you don't want to run out of gas in the middle of preparing something, consider buying a butane torch with a bigger gas tank. You will need to refill your butane torch, but at least having a bit in reserve is a nice feature. Because of that, I always advise looking for a butane torch with a long burn time.
- Some cooking torches can sustain the flame for hours before needing to refuel. For this particular reason, if you are planning on lengthy cooking sessions, this perk is important for you.
4. Size and shape
- Size matters, especially for women! All jokes aside, the best butane torches for kitchen use are palm-sized (or a bit larger) and have an ergonomic shape, so it fits in your hand nicely.
- For us with a bit smaller hands, holding a bulky and uncomfortable butane torch is not an option, as you need precision while (literally) playing with fire!
- I always talk about this because I am well aware of the struggle. Of course, my husband can easily hold a butane torch twice as large, but for me, a smaller one goes a long way.
5. Flame adjustment
- Flame adjustment is valuable because you need to be able to change the size of the flame to suit your cooking needs. You simply adjust the flow of gas to your needs, which also helps you to save on fuel. The flame should not be too large as it can be dangerous and burn your food, so the ideal flame should be narrow, short and blue.
- Of course, different purposes call for different techniques, and that is exactly why you should have various options when it comes to your butane torch, especially when you start experimenting more.
The Most Recommended butane torches: Barbara's Detailed Reviews 2019
The JB Chef Micro Culinary Butane Torch is an 8-ounce newbie when it comes to butane torches. This is a newer model and it has almost all of the essential qualities I had previously listed, such as lock mechanism and an adjustable flame.
This butane torch is very lightweight and made out of high-quality materials to ensure a worth-to-buy product. Safety is a priority, and JB Chef made sure to cover this very thoroughly. The company is actually so confident in their quality that they offer a lifetime guarantee for it. Imagine that!
However, my complaint about this butane torch goes to the non-ergonomic design. This torch is completely round and has no secure material that would ensure a non-slip grip. In my opinion, this torch can become slippery as it has no firm handle. Therefore, the torch is quite uncomfortable for a more extended usage.
Another important factor is that it doesn’t have an anti-flare neck, which, as I mentioned, is extremely important and this flaw is a huge minus for JB Chef.
Even though the cost of this product is quite low, the JB Chef Micro Culinary Torch is certainly not the cheapest one out there for the given quality. If you’re looking for a butane torch for occasional usage only, this one might be for you.
The Blazer Big Shot Butane Torch is a 12-ounce monster in the kitchen. It has a brass frame nozzle and an attachable base, which means that you can use it for hands-free work, which is extremely rare and a giant plus to the company.
The neck is designed to be anti-flare for safety and flame control purposes. This butane torch is a high-cost, but low-spender item made for those of you who are willing to invest more in an item you are going to use often.
The head is angled and great for limited space or hard-to-access places. It also features a gas-flow adjustment dial to control flame length. Unfortunately, this butane torch is another one that has no grip-control, but the material it’s made of serves the purpose well enough.
With the Blazer Big Shot, an absolutely stellar performance is guaranteed. The maximum temperature is 2500 degrees F, and the GT8000 has a continuous burn time of 35 minutes at maximum volume.
What turns most people away from this butane torch is its price; Blazer GT8000 is surely one of the most expensive ones you can get.
However, if you plan on using a butane torch regularly in your kitchen and you are prepared to pay extra for a high-quality product, this one would be my recommendation for you.
This tiny 5.6-ounce torch is exceptionally lightweight and easy to use. Authenzo Kitchen Butane Torch is suitable for both professional and family cooks; this is one of the most sold butane torches for recreational uses.
Authenzo Kitchen Butane Torch Lighter has an adjustable flame and an open-close lock security switch. The temperature goes all the way to 2500°F, which is a fantastic performance considering the price.
You can also adjust the flame via the gas flow regulator so that it can satisfy various needs.
The Authenzo Kitchen Torch is made of durable aluminum, and it has a non-slip grip for long-lasting use. This is honestly one of my absolute must-haves when it comes to butane torches, primarily if you work in a hot, steamy kitchen. You really don't want to risk dropping your butane torch!
Unfortunately, this affordable Authenzo Kitchen Butane Torch is a big spender, so if you decide to buy this one, you might need a big stash of butane gas!
Another thing to be taken into consideration is the relatively mediocre quality. This butane kitchen torch is very cheap, which is excellent on the one hand, but not that great on the other - the materials used are not high-quality, and people often report malfunctions.
This also goes with the fact that there is no guarantee for this product.
All things taken into consideration, the Authenzo Kitchen Butane Torch is an excellent choice if you are a beginner and you want to experiment and try new things. But, if you are more skilled and looking for a product that would last longer, I would look at some of the other options.
The Iwatani butane kitchen torch that weighs only 2.88 ounces offers a lot of cooking versatility indoors and outdoors.
This butane torch has a torch head that goes onto a separately bought butane canister. This means that you never need to refill the torch, you just buy a new can of butane gas and replace it. This gives you a lot of versatility, indoors and outdoors.
Unfortunately, with this goes the design, which is almost nonexistent - your torch will look like a can of shaving cream, which some of us don't really like.
The Iwatani torch has a fast flame start-up action (the so-called piezo-electric ignition system) which produces a strong flame with the maximum temperature reaching 2700° F, and a super long burn time of almost 2 whole hours.
There is also an on/off lock button that allows a continuous flame without having to hold any buttons pressed, and the stabilizing stand ensures that it won't fall or tilt.
When you purchase, you get a 1-year guarantee that covers the Iwatani Kitchen Torch, which is one of the more expensive butane torches on the market though.
All in all, if you like cooking in the field or while camping, and you want compact and portable butane torch that gives you good value for the money, this might be the best butane torch for you.
The GiBot Blow Torch Butane Torch weighs 9.4 ounces and is equipped with an extended angled nozzle that keeps your hand safely away from the flame and allows for easy and precise maneuvering. The anti-flare technology and safety lock design allow you to operate the torch without worry.
This inexpensive torch also has the non-slip grip which allows the user to use it for a longer period of time without risk. The GiBot Butane Torch is made of aluminum alloy, and the quality is solid, but not amazing. It is refillable, but the gas tank isn't too big.
Apart from the must-have characteristics that we mention every time (like security lock, flame control etc), this GiBot torch has a continuous flame, and just like the previous torch we mentioned, the GiBot butane torch has the "piezo" ignition system. This tells us that the manufacturers really gave their all to make this product as equipped as possible.
The maximum flame temperature goes to 2500°F, which is the temperature that most butane torches reach - no matter the cost.
The gas tank on this GiBot torch is a bit small, but again, nothing out of the ordinary. One flaw I need to address is the lack of a stabilizing plate of some sort, which means you must always hold the torch. This can get hot and tiring, so keep this in mind.
However, I think that with this torch you get the maximum value and the maximum quality for the money spent. In addition, you get a lifetime guarantee. Talk about a bargain!
And the best butane torch is….
I have to give this one to the GiBot kitchen butane torch.
There are so many options when it comes to choosing the best butane torch, but what I absolutely loved about this one is that you get everything you need for an affordable price.
Of course, there are other butane torches that have the same characteristics, but you would pay double the amount of money.
That’s why I wholeheartedly recommend buying the GiBot torch as it is affordable, has a stylish design (yes, we love that!), and has all the options you need in a butane torch.
If you disagree, feel free to contact me and I will always try to help you.
Happy cooking! 🙂